Friday 3 June 2011

In with the new

The stage is set
If you'd asked me to guess how many people would turn up to a 'Fans Forum' at Curzon Ashton I wouldn't have predicted very many. Well, as it turned out, on Thursday night there were a few more than I anticipated. Of course, we were still outnumbered by committee members but that's only to be expected at Curzon. 
The evening began with an awkward last minute dash to find a microphone. Good planning. Then John Flanagan, the new Curzon manager gave us his background that almost went back to his CSE results. Finally, the floor was thrown open for questions. I asked a couple as did a few others. He told us about his management style, which players have gone and who was staying.  Interesting. We were introduced to his new assistant, "I'm Steve, I'm 29" (I never did find out his surname), who has joined Curzon from Leigh Genesis. The Forum ended with a positive feeling for the future of the club. A new beginning, if that isn't too dramatic.

We learned a few things about the coming season, and I learnt a few more, off the record, over a drink later. But it was more than that. This really is a positive start for those of us who turn up week after week with sometimes only the 'How many balls will get kicked out of the ground?' game to keep us entertained. A manager who is keen to engage with supporters is definitely something new and to be encouraged.

I'm looking forward to the coming season. I always do. Now, I could use my psychic super-powers to discover how the season will unfold thus potentially avoiding many Monday nights watching dire football in the freezing cold. But then what would be the fun in that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment